Click on the banner above to visit our blog dedicated to this program.
As part of its mission “to reestablish and expand Detroit’s theatre community,” Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company is now accepting submissions of plays by Michigan natives or current Michigan residents to stage as part of a festival to take place March 21-23, 2014. The past five staged reading festivals have provided constructive venues in which to workshop new plays, and six plays read in the festivals have subsequently been produced by local companies or are slated for production in 2014: The Current (Sean Paraventi; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company), The Sunday Punch (Linda Ramsay; Planet Ant Theatre), Burn the Red Banner: Or, Let the Rebels Have Their Fun (Franco Vitella; The Abreact), Soul Mates (Kirsten Knisely; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company), A Play by Franco Vitella (Franco Vitella; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company), and Love is Strange (Sean Paraventi; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company).
The festival is a weekend long event, and scheduling will be determined based on the length and needs of each selected submission. Playwrights are encouraged to submit any works they would like to see read and workshopped by the deadline of 5:00 p.m. on Monday, December 30th, 2013. Questions and/ or submissions should be sent to Associate Artistic Director Matthew Turner Shelton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for submissions:
• Playwright must be either a native of Michigan or currently live in the state and have no plans to relocate during 2014.
• Playwright must be 18 or older.
• Play content should fit the criteria outlined in Magenta Giraffe’s mission statement (below). If play content does not exactly match the mission, then it should at least not go against it.
• Plays may be any length. One act plays will be given the same consideration as full length ones.
• Submissions must be e-mailed to Matthew Turner Shelton at email@example.com . Microsoft Word or PDF documents only; hard copies will not be accepted. No exceptions.
• Submission deadline is 5:00 p.m., on Monday, December 30th, 2013.
Playwrights will be notified in writing of the status of their submission(s) by Monday, January 27th, 2014.